Monday, October 13, 2014

Toddler "Crafternoon"





Recently, we were fortunate to have the opportunity to pre-screen the new Creative Galaxy Show. This is a cute animated series available on Amazon Prime Instant Video that inspires creativity through art and crafts. 

My three year old watched it with me and he really liked the fact that they zoomed all around in a rocket. The topics were all things he could relate to and before long he was asking to watch "Arty", which is one of the characters. He 


I liked how it provides inspiration to get crafty with your children. To help give children and parents inspiration, a live-action segment is at the end of each animated episode that takes the viewers through the craft project that the characters showcased during the episode. It really makes you see art in the every day world. 



Inspired by the creative projects on the show, we set out to do some arts and crafts of our very own! I have always enjoyed seeing art where others may not, and we used our imagination to make a colorful fish using items we found while taking walks. 

We collected palm tree bark (actually called fronds- who knew those things had a name?) and found an old 2x4 in a neighbors trash pile. I also picked up some Crayola washable paint and a couple cheap paint brushes. 


With these items in hand, we invited a few neighbor friends over and our first "crafternoon" was underway! 




This was a fun craft for a range of ages- here we had a 3, 5 and 7 year old. My dad used his saw to cut the 2x4 into a fish shape and we screwed the palm tree frond to the wood. 

The children started with their blank slates and created their masterpieces. I love using things we found to create "something" from "nothing.

 I deemed it a very successful "crafternoon" indeed!



I loved this project for so many reasons. I loved spending time with the kids. I loved using items we found on our walks. But most of all I loved seeing their creative sides come out and the satisfaction of their fishtail when they were done! 



If you want to inspire your children to see "art" where others may not, be sure to check out the Creative Galaxy show, and you never know when creative inspiration will strike!


xoxo-
Heather

I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.

1 comment:

  1. How fun! I think my little guy is a little young still for this craft, only 2, but its a great idea for the future!

    ReplyDelete